Remaining at homeLiving in sheltered or retirement housingLiving in a care home
Help with home maintenance
Help with aids or adaptations

Funding Your Choice

This section provides an overview of the range of options for funding your choice of services, or the funding of those services which you are advised as being appropriate for your needs. Check in the menu items above for details relating to your accommodation situation.

Some of the services we discuss may be available free, or will be supplied to you at a subsidised rate – depending on your own financial circumstances. On the other hand, some people may have the independent means to pay for their own care – identifying and purchasing the service directly from the relevant organisation. This could be from a home care agency, a care home, or any other source which meets a particular need and choice.

Whatever your requirement or capability, Caredirections will help you to explore the potential of different approaches, guide you in making the best choice and help you to identify the most appropriate point of service.

In addition to examining eligibility criteria for free or subsidised services the comprehensive ‘Funding Your Choice’ section will also help you to obtain all the income to which you are entitled to help you meet the cost of any services you need.

In all matters of funding care or accommodation needs, there is an obvious first question for most people. What help can be expected from the State? Caredirections will help you to find out more about the current state of play and future expectations in this respect.

Whilst the government has recently announced some helpful concessions for the future funding of long term nursing care, state funded support generally is not generous. It is vitally important, therefore, to ensure that you are aware of and are claiming all the help to which you are entitled.


Lasting power of attorney

Both elderly people who are becoming increasingly frail and their carers should consider the on-going ability of the elderly person to deal with their own financial and legal affairs. It may make good sense to formally pass over this responsibility to a child or close relative, in an ‘lasting power of attorney’ arrangement. Further details concerning the important issues of this can be found in our Financial Planning section.


Back to top